Friday, September 16, 2005

55. Will It Be You?

by Lanaia Lee - North Carolina

I am from a city that used to be
    A city that was famous for Mardi Gras, jazz and blues
A city three centuries old - my choices are few, all I can do now is flee
    A city where it's citizens had to pay tremendous dues

Being a child of ten, I am very terrified and scared
    Separated from my parents, I don't know if they are alive or dead
Looting, shooting, fire - all this some people had the gall to dare
    Leaving those like me to survive on their own - I just want some clean water and to be fed

Where do I go? What do I do?
    Being held prisoner, by the water that is so toxic and lethal
Please, tell me what to do - to this question, the answer I have no clue
    Life is gone in this great city, now that it is nothing but a hull

I see people below, as I watched from the second story of a devastated house
    Plain people, I am scared, where oh where is my helping hand?
I am trembling, like a timid little mouse
    This once beautiful place is no more - please someone, to me extend a helping hand

No food or clean water - will I die from this overpowering hunger?
    For days on end, I have watched unthinkable things as they are done
A place, where tons of people used to come, but now today they must deter
    People are desperate, some are even carrying guns.

So see I am very scared during this time - I am completely alone
    But I am just a child - I really don't know what to do
This once beautiful city, the aftermath - life as we knew it is no more, it is totally gone
    Someone help me please, I am so sad and blue

I extend my hand for help - will it be you?
    Giving me a second chance to live?
My parents, I fear they are dead - someone help me start a new life, I feel I have paid my dues
    So to all the survivors that need help - will it be you?

Hellicane category: SURVIVORS' Tales

No comments: